Friday, December 16, 2011

Young Readers

An avid reader myself, I read to my kids almost fanatically. One of my favorite memories of the first day we brought our firstborn home was unpacking my hospital bag and hearing my husband start reading the first chapter of "The Hobbit" to our daughter, knowing as he did that it was my very favorite childhood book.  I think he secretly wanted me to cry a couple happy, post-natal emotional tears. I obliged.

Our eldest is now two and a half, and knows all her letters and the sounds they make, but has some difficulty pronouncing "L" correctly--most often, it comes out sounding like a "Y." She has also reached a point where she knows how several books go, especially favorites like our Eric Carle books. Today, I overheard her reading "Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?" with a little twist.  Brown Bear also sees, but Polar Bear leads a book of animals hearing other animals' noises "in their ears." Her rendition of "PB,PB,WDYS?" went a little something like this....

"Monkey, Monkey, what do you see?"
"I see a sea turtle looking in my ear."
"Sea Turtle, Sea Turtle, what do you see?"
"I see a sea yie-yon looking in my ear." (That would be sea lion for those of you who aren't fluent in kidspeak....)

I remember the little kid voice from watching my nieces and nephews grow up. Kid giggle is one of my all time favorite noises, but the memory of hearing my daughter "read" herself a story will always bring a smile to my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment