Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

I can't say I'm sorry to see the end of 2011. For a lot of people, it was a pretty crap year. A few very personal highlights brightened up a long string of seemingly Biblical international plagues: recessions, floods, tornadoes, wars, Justin Bieber....

They say that time flies when you're having fun, but even though this year wasn't a laugh-a-minute, it was over before I had a chance to dwell on any of the negatives. That may seem like a good thing, but as I reflect on the year behind, I realize how many great moments I missed or nearly forgot.

That is the lesson I'm taking forward: every day will have highs and lows. Every day has the same number of minutes passing by, and each one deserves to be lived. Every day will see my children grow and develop, and somewhere heroes will save lives, villains destroy them, and politicians will make and break new promises and laws. The economy and the climate will continue to cycle through their natural ebb and flow around us, despite all attempts to bring them under control.

I can't control the weather. I can't control international policy. There are days that I can't even claim to control my children... I can determine my responses to the world around me, and where I focus my attention. I will continue to listen to the Dalai Lama on Facebook, and take great joy in hearing my daughter sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" with her father in the bathroom. In 2012, I will try to appreciate the good moments, knowing that they will give me the strength and inspiration to get through the bad. I'm going to make 2012 my year for appreciation and gratitude.

Oh, and I'm going to lose weight and get in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment