Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Economy of Scale

Buying in bulk represents the theory called Economy of Scale: buying more of an item at one time reduces the per-item cost. However, as I examine my own spending habits, taking more and more offense at being labeled a "consumer" rather than considered as a person, I realize that I've been duped for years. Buying massive quantities of anything seems to lead to faster or more reckless use, and thereby more money being spent rather. The main concession I'm willing to make is toilet paper--having plenty of TP on hand doesn't seem to make me feel like spending more time in the bathroom.

But think about it. I buy a big bag of green bell peppers at the wholesale club because I want to make stuffed peppers (for myself and my hubby---there's no way the kids are going to give that dish a go). Then I have to find some way to get through four additional peppers before they spoil in my refrigerator. So I add peppers to salad, dice them up in eggs or lasagna...bad things? No! But not necessarily what I would have been doing anyway, thereby an additional expense rather than a savings.

So, as I face the decision to renew my wholesale club membership, which I've had since college in one form or another, I am torn. Should I try to alter my lifestyle to be more structured and organized in order to reap the most potential benefit from bulk purchasing? Or should I just shop the sales at the grocery store, buy generic when I can, and continue to cater to the mercurial moods of the family appetite and my own culinary muse?

Along the same lines, I'm fighting harder against the trap of buying something because there's a coupon for it. If it's not something we use already, then no matter what the coupon "saves" us, it's a luxury item. I think by re-evaluating the way I approach shopping for food, I'll be able to save time, money, and frustration in the long term. And who wouldn't smile about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment